About Me

Tuesday 1 May 2012

Sundance London


Last week I attended the very first Sundance London Festival. It took place at the O2 in North Greenwich over a few extremely rainy, miserable days so I was happy to be inside the cinema with a cup of coffee.

The highlight of my festival going experience was watching Safety Not Guaranteed starring the wonderful Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) and Mark Duplass (mumblecore maestro). You can read my review here. 

My obsession with the 90s drew me to see Tricky and Martina Topley Bird performing Maxinquaye live at the Indigo2.  The sound at the venue was awesome, and the atmosphere at the front was excellent. Not sure why, but on entering the venue I kind of screamed that I was super excited for the gig to my friends. I made a young girl laugh quite a lot and we had a chat about how much I loved Tricky and Martina(and the shockingly expensive drinks). Turns out I was telling their daughter how much I loved her mum and dad... slightly embarrassing but flattering, no?

I saw a couple of strong documentaries in The Queen of Versailles - an absorbing (and funny) look at how a rich family dealt with the recession - and Chasing Ice that looked magnificent and raised the important issue of global warming and melting ice caps. I also saw Finding North which thoroughly depressed me, you can read my review here.


Josh Radnor presented an extremely engaging and amusing yarn about growing up in Liberal Arts
I was a little bit let down by Nobody Walks considering it had Lena Dunham's name attached to it as co-writer.  Paul Dano's return to the big screen in For Ellen allowed for some moments of brilliance including him dancing to Whitesnake in a scene I would like to watch over and over again. There were quite a few walkouts (at the press screening) for Terence Nance's An Oversimplification of her Beauty but it provided a heartfelt and creative look at the subject of love and relationships. 
I enjoyed it.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment