About Me

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Sci-Fi London 11


A weekend watching sci-fi related films was always going to be a high point for me and I was not disappointed. Thanks to the sci-fi London team and Louis Savy for being so accommodating. I spent most of it with Tom Jupiter whose love for Star Trek and sci-fi is inspiring and it was a great few days of films and japes.

Sound of My Voice was the highlight of the festival for me. A debut film from Director, Zal Batmanglij, presenting exactly the kind of  cleverly constructed sci-fi I love. Brit Marling co-wrote and stars in the film and is pitch perfect. You can read my review in Starburst Magazine.

Other debuts I watched that showed potential included The Last Push and Cycle also reviewed in Starburst Magazine.

I also caught a couple of documentaries, both about Star Trek... The Captains followed William Shatner round as he met with and interviewed the actors who have also taken on the role. Scott Bakula and William Shatner riding on horseback singing to Fiddler on the Roof was a highpoint. Shatner, of course, manages to make the documentary all about himself but in the most entertaining way possible. Arm wrestling with Chris Pine and singing with Avery Brooks makes for fascinating, fun viewing! 

Trek Nation follows Eugene Roddenberry around (son of Gene) but it just didn't reach the same level of entertainment as The Captains. It is informative, but for the initiated, may not shed any new light.
I suggest you read Tom Roberts' coverage over on Starburst Magazine here and here.


No comments:

Post a Comment