About Me

Wednesday 23 November 2011

Interview with Ryoo Seung-wan


Korean Director Ryoo Seung-wan's films ooze cool.
Die Bad was his debut feature back in 2000 and it is a violent commentary on gang violence. I would recommend catching it if you can. I also loved the insane music pumped out at intervals throughout the film. The London Korean Film Festival showed a retrospective of his work last week and I had a chat with him (through a translator). It was a strange experience as I had never interviewed someone who didn't speak the same language as me before.
I managed to catch some of his other films including Dachimawa Lee (which made me laugh out loud on a few occasions as it was so silly) City of Violence (sooo cool) and The Unjust ( a change of pace in my opinion, but what do I know?) We talked about it for quite a while... you can read the interview here: Ryoo Seung-wan interview

Here is the trailer for The Unjust where random phrases are inserted between footage from the film.
"Justice is a Deal"



No comments:

Post a Comment